What is Discernment
I. Define Discernment:
“But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to Discern both good and evil.”
· Senses – 145, from 143 – to apprehend properly by the senses. discern D
is keenly selective judgment. It’s distinguishing – distinguishing what?
Spiritual Gift of Discernment
Discern good vs. evil: What is it we’re called to discern? Both good and evil. God is good and the Devil is evil. God speaks good things to us through his Holy Spirit and Satan speaks evil things to our minds through a spirit since he is spirit also.
How do we identify evil?
From God’s word. Right
brings us to a place of observation of spiritual principles or just the opening of the door to understanding.
a. God’s kingdom – the 3rd heaven – Righteousness, Peace and Joy – How do we know that? God’s word reveals it.
b. Satan’s kingdom – the 2nd heaven – envy, jealousy, accusation, hatred, etc.
How do we know that? Because God’s word reveals that.
c. Earth – the 1st heaven, where we dwell or where all man dwells.
Satan was kicked out of heaven. He lives in 2nd heaven. He is invisible, we aren’t to go into that kingdom. If you see physically into it, you have divination. We are not allowed to see it. But we can have a discernment of spirits when a person has gifts of discernment.
What is sin? Sin is A Being, an evil spirit – Entered through Disobedience to God’s Word. It is when we walk in the flesh and the lust of the World.
lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, Mark 4:19
flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof, Rom. 13:14
we all had our conversation … in the lusts of our flesh, Eph. 2:3
Walking in The Spirit gives us victory over Flesh:
Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident,
which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told [you] in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of Yahweh.
1 Joh 3:4 (KJV) Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
Gala 5:16 (NKJV) I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
II: Two Laws Operating in the World Today Since the Fall of Adam and Eve:
a) The Law of God – God’s nature – Good
b) The law of sin – Satan’s nature – evil
Paul states in Romans 7:7 “What shall we say then Is the law sin? God forbid, Nay, I had not known sin, but by the Law; for I had not known lust, except the law had said, thou shall not covet.”
- God’s Word is the law of God
- Paul says in Romans 7:22 “For I delight in the Law of God after the inward man; but I see another law in my members warring against the Law of my mind and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.”
- The law of sin – the evil spirits manifesting in us.
The Works of the Flesh working in our mortal bodies. All man is being tested. All man is called to be saved and renewed.
Renewing of the Mind
Flesh has two meanings:
- Flesh – unrenewed mind lining up with the programming of thoughts by devils of the past of what others said
- Flesh – indwelling presence of evil spirits by their nature. The sin nature we all have to die from daily. The Good News is the Lord God looks on the heart – the intentions.
Romans 8:1 “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.”
Having the spiritual gifts of discernment will bring us freedom from the sins of the flesh. We have to discern good and evil. Who is speaking to you? God or Satan.
How to Renew The Mind
Satan puts the negative thoughts against God’s law or nature. You have to recognize the lies of the enemy and put out the fiery darts through the word of God. It takes studying, reading and quoting God’s word of truth even if you don’t feel it is true until it becomes truth.
Galatians 5:18 “If we are led by the spirit we are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these. Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envying, murders drunkenness, revellings, and such like; of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”
Where else can we see his kingdom manifestation?
Mark 7:21 “For from within out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciouvousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile the man.”
II Cor 7:1 “Having therefore, these promises, dearly bellowed let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.”
Promise without discernment is still bondage.
- when the Spirit of Accusation in another comes railing at you because they may have rejection,
- you recognize it, separate them from it, and step back in the spirit and just say,
- “gee I’m sorry you don’t feel loved.”
- Take your peace. Don’t become one with that Spirit of Accusation.
- You are discerning good from evil.
Importance of Walkout:
Will bring deliverance, peace and you’ll be an overcomer.
Revelation 21:7 “He that overcometh shall inherit all things and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers and whoremongers, and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone which is the 2nd death.”
We’re seeing repeated here several words.
We’ve already taught you this. This is Satan’s nature – recognize it. You’re discern of spirits between good and evil….you are judging between the 2 to discriminate (make a distinction) (tell the difference) between the 2.
Spiritual Discernment of Who’s Speaking to You:
I was looking for the wuwuuw. When here in God’s word, He’s revealed to us all those yucky puckies.
1. Principalities – Greek word means CHIEF
2. Powers – FORCE
3. Rulers of darkness of this world – A WORLD RULER
4. Spiritual wickedness in high places – DEMONIC SPIRIT INIQUITY IN SKY
You can read about principalities in Daniel 10: – he prayed for 21 days –
We don’t go into the 2nd heaven to fight over cities because the principalities over cities ARE there because of the sin of the people. Just like we have jucky puckies because of personal sin.
· There’s a huge principality over Dallas because of Freemasonry. This creates greed of money and alot of conspiracies like JFK being killed. There is Pegasus (flying horse) – Greek Mythology: a horse with wings, born of the shed blood of Medusa
· so occultism is over the city since it’s a landmark.
· Greed isn’t going to leave until the people repent, turn from their ways and remove the Masonic stuff.
The Curse: Much attack, disease, infertility, greed, loss, bankruptcy, etc
Let’s look at some of the wiles (methods) of the devil revealed in God’s word.
1. The Devourer:
Malachi 3:11 “I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit beore the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts.”
2. The tempter
Matthew 4:1/Luke 4 “Then was Jesus led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.”
3. Dumb spirit
Matthew 9:32-33 “As they went out behold, they brought to him a dumb man possessed with a devil. And when the devil was cast out the dumb spake and the multitudes marveled saying, it was never so seen in Israel.”
4. Accuser of Brethren
Revelations 12:10 “…And the accuser of the brethren was cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.”
5. Unclean Spirit
Luke 4:33 “And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil and cried out with a loud voice.”
6. The Betrayer
John 13:2 “And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simons son, to betray him.”
We must be able to discern both good and evil. God is good. Satan is evil….
Satan uses fear, fear of him to keep you from dealing with him – NO FEAR
I John 4:8 “For God is love. In this was manfest the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten son into the world that we might live through him.”
II Cor. 2:11 “Lest Satan should get an advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices.”
· As you read the word, study the enemy –
· We send our troops to war after we train them.
· That’s why many Christians get into trouble –
· they go where angels fear to tread………….
John 10:10 “Satan is a liar, a thief, a murder……..he came to steal, kill and destroy.”
John 12:40 “He (satan) hath blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, and be converted and I should heal them.”
II Cor. 4:4 “In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God should shine unto them.”
· When dealing with people, recognize if they’re blinded,
· don’t strive with them – that brings every evil thing
· Pray, release and bless them. This brings you peace
· With yourself, ask Father God to show you any areas you may be blind in
· Do not believe every spirit
I John 4:1 “Beloved believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world.”
III. Strife is a counterfeit for discernment.
· Discernment comes as a servant.
· Is gentle, patient, meek.
· When we strive, we’ve forgotten to cover them in love.
II Timothy 2:24 “And the servant of the Lord must not strive, but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient. In meekness, instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth.”
Judging is a counterfeit of Discernment:
· Beware of Judging – and calling it discernment
· It’s easier to see a SPIRITUAL DEFECT in someone else before you see it in yourself
· I’ve learned that when I judge – it’s because I know that spirit and it’s operating in me.
Romans 2:1 “Judge not lest ye be judged. With what measure ye judge ye shall be judged. For wherein thou judgest another, thou condemest thyself, for thou that judgest doest the same thing.”
· We need to discern the motives of our own heart first, and love other
I Cor. 11:31-32 “For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged we are chastened of the Lord that we should not be condemned with the world.”
Divination is a counterfeit of discernment:
Let’s look at divination.
· what is it?
o It’s being an oracle.
o A diviner.
o Divination is occultic.
o Divination is at work in churches posing as the Holy Spirit.
Satan knows the Word better than us. He’s been around a long time.
A. A person with a spirit of divination is
· Looking for recognition – may actually be correct
· Has a nature to be pushy, controlling
· Remember: Satan was transformed into an angel of light, sometimes its just hard to discern
· Speaks not for benefits of others, but itself
B. How to discern Divination operating.
· Watch, observe, listen over time
· Discernment comes as a servant
· Divination comes as the Holy Ghost to everyone who’ll listen
· Tries to control every situation, especially in the church
· It’s a counterfeit to the holy Spirit
C. Dealing with Divination:
· Make sure you stay in the nature of the Holy Spirit.
· know God’s word
· Don’t be too quick to let people lay hands on you.
If you have a desire for a person’s spiritual gift, and they’re operating in a spirit of Divination, that can be transferred into you by laying on of hands.
· Listen and hear what they’re really saying – is it sensual, earthy, is it a feel good thing?
· Discernment is not done in the flesh…..
· Divination is a fleshy – feel good thing, sensual.
· “Oh I feel so good around it.”
· That can mislead you.
IMPORTANT: Wanting an instant answer from God opens you up to this spirit of divination. Leaving your mind vacant, allows spirit guides to come in. Guard your mind always.
Have you even been in a group of people, you asked one person directiosn, and yet another person answers?
This is why we have relationship with the Godhead.
John 10:4 “my sheep know my voice, and they will not follow another.”
Know God, Know Jesus Christ, Know the Holy Spirit. Have relationship with Him.
Know the Word of Go
· Gift of the Holy Spirit
· Edifies the Church
· Waits on God’s timing and direction to speak or act
· Speaks for the benefit of others
· Comes as a servant
· Matures by reason of use, with experience bringing added wisdom and a sense of timing
· Waits to be brought into a place of service
· Submits what he thinks he’s hearing from God to leadership, is accountable, allows checks and balances to safeguard against following a deceiving spirit
· Leads by example
· Rests in who God is
· Occultic counterfeit of the gift of the Holy Spirit
· Evil infiltrating many churches
· Drives to tell what it knows
· Speaks as an oracle, a “Knowing One,” out of a need for personal recognition
· Pushy, controlling,
· plays Holy Spirit to everyone around him.
· Comes as an angel of light, creates an atmosphere of spirituality but brings division thru counsel against counsel.
· Tries to position self in a role of authority, usurps control of bible studies, prayer groups, churches
· Cops attitude if left out of anything
· Can involve a linking of evil spirits to bring agreement and may actually have some correct information because the enemy knows what that Kingdom is doing in the situation
· Becomes angry when not obeyed
· Tries so hard to be Godly, they actually try to make something happen for God
Discernment will take you to maturity and is not judging, it is not divination, it is knowing the Word of God.
It’s relationship with the Godhead.
There’s a word that Paul uses in the Word – perceive. I believe that’s a great word personally.
Acts 8:23 “Nor I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness and in the bond of iniquity.”
Perceive – G3708 = hor-ah’-o
Properly to stare at (compare G3700), that is, (by implication) to discern clearly (physically or mentally); by extension to attend to; by Hebraism to experience; passively to appear: – behold, perceive, see, take heed.
Know the Word. Discern between good and evil……………..Guard your heart.
Col. 3:10 “And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge (discernment) After the image of him that created him.”
By Traci Morin
Touch of God Healing Ministries (a healing and deliverance ministry located in Dallas, Texas – why don’t you join us at Set Free Bible Study to start your journey of healing?)
More Articles on Sanctification:
If you are not saved and want to be saved, please visit this site:
Read the testimony of Traci Morin healed of 13 diseases body soul and spirit