How to Overcome Your Past
The Work of Sanctification
One thing many do: “forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead “…”by pressing on towards the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:13-14)
Past circumstances do not have to dictate your present outlook, because God has made a way for you to overcome the negative in your life.
How to Overcome Your Past!
This is the work of the doctrine fo Sanctification. You can experience a real freedom from the hurts and negative feelings that weigh you down. Past circumstances do not have to dictate your present outlook, because God has made a way for you to overcome the negative in your life. In fact, He intends for you to!
Die to Self
The Bible says, “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation in Christ; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new” (2 Corinthians 5:17). You need to believe this scripture. In other words, the more we get immersed in Jesus and His Word and learn to do things His way, the more old things will pass away and the more things will become new. It doesn’t happen all at once, but as we put our will on His side, more and more things from the past that used to plague us become less painful and less important. Putting behind you past circumstances.
It’s a popular trend in the world today for people to blame all their present problems on others or events from their past — their parents, their siblings, their peers, their environment, their heredity, ex-husbands, etc. — rather than on the personal choices they have made. A lot of people buy into this way of thinking because it is decidedly easier on their pride than accepting that they are wrong in being bitter against someone or something. It is time to take responsibility.
My question to you is who is defining you?
It’s about letting Jesus resolve and override problems carried over from the past by His renewing and transforming of our mind (Romans 12:2).
Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy your destiny by reminding you of past failures or past hurts to keep you stuck in your past. You cannot move forward looking backwards. Satan gets you stuck in self pity which is the super glue to hold you to the hell of your past — regrets, emotional pain, past failures by not forgiving self, etc.
My question to you is who are you? Are you a child of the most high God. Are you a royal priesthood? Why then are you allowing the past to dictate your life? Why are you allowing the ghosts of those who spoke evil to you dictate your life?
Yes, our parents give us life but you spend eternity with Christ. God is the God who created you and gave your parents. Now you are grown up and need to live as a royal presthood with the promises of God.
Putting the Past Behind You
1. If you remember negative events of what others did or said to you, and you still feel some type of emotion such as sadness, anger, resentment, etc. then you have unforgiveness. You need to and are commanded to forgive those who hurt or said negative things to you.
2. Stop the replay! After you forgive them and the recorder starts playing the event(s) again, make your mind up to stop the replay and choose to renew your mind. Stop playing the the garbage of your past. It is not worth it and keeps you from going forward. How can you if you are looking in the mirror of your past!
3. You need to take responsibility of your own sin and not blame others or circumstances of your past. Repent to God and cast down those negative memories (2 Corinthians 10:5). Choose to see who you are today! You are a child of the Most High God. You are important to Him! Anyone else’s opinion does not matter.
4. Start memorizing and believing God’s word for your life. If you were told you cannot do anything, memorize the word that says you can do all things in Christ. This will renew who you are! Who is defining you! Who are you in the Kingdom of God? That means when that tape starts playing “I cannot do anything” you say the scripture to put out that fiery dart that says “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! (Phil. 4:13).” This is recognizing the voice of the enemy and putting out the fiery dart with truth.
5. Remember, those who hurt you, to separate them because it was sin in them and not them according to Romans 7:17. The enemy was using them because he knew your call and wanted to stop you. Choose to go forward regardless what happens. Don’t allow the enemy to stop you AT ANY COST.
6. Give no room to the enemy! That means if the memory comes around again, choose not to talk about it, think about it, replay it, talk to others about it, but STOP and choose to meditate on God’s Word.
7. Remember every time you replay in the land of garbage of your past, you are creating stronghold of thinking. You are creating less dendrites on the neurons in the brain which are (see example below). When we know who we are in Christ and apply His truth, you create much more healthy dendrites of the mind. Negative memories stunt the growth of dendrites. Negative memories create stress in the body, soul and spirit. When dendrites die, our memories fade, coordination fails, hormone levels plummet, and moods takes a downward turn. You have good chemicals that respond to positive thoughts and negative chemicals that respond to negative thoughts. The negative chemicals destroy the body creating diseases. Why hold onto the past?
8. What are you doing to deal with negative memories?
9. Is your happiness dependent on the following:
In order to be happy, I have to be successful all the time.
In order to be happy, I must be accepted and liked by all people at all times.
If I’m not the best, I’m a failure
If I make a mistake, I’m inept.
My value as a person depends on what others think of me.
I can’t live without someone to love me.
If somebody disagrees with me it means they don’t like me.
By Traci Morin
Touch of God Healing Ministries (a healing and deliverance ministry located in Dallas, Texas – why don’t you join us at Set Free Bible Study to start your journey of healing?)
More Articles on Sanctification:
Fourth Man in the Fire a Story about Daniel
Fruit of the Spirit
Like Minded People
The Power to Overcome Your Past
Power of Your Words
What is Sanctification?
what is on your mind?
Unrealistic expectations in Relationships
If you are not saved and want to be saved, please visit this site:
Read the testimony of Traci Morin healed of 13 diseases body soul and spirit